I have such a difficult time waking up during the winter. It’s cold and dark and I don’t want to get out of my warm, comfy bed. I’ve been trying some new ways of helping myself, help myself get up and get going. Here’s what I’ve come up with.
- I put my alarm clock on the other side of the room so I have to get out of bed to turn it off. This doesn’t always work. I have been known to hit the snooze and crawl right back into bed. UGH
- I turn a light on as soon as the alarm goes off. I’ve noticed that turning the light on before I get out of bed to turn off the alarm helps keep me from hitting the snooze and crawling back into bed. The bed is still warm and comfy, but who can go back to sleep with that annoying light shining in their face?
- I drink a glass of water. I read that drinking water right when you wake up helps get your metabolism going, re-hydrates you, (I especially need this after getting up multiple times to pee during the night), and increases your alertness.
- I take a deep breath. It’s a moment to pause, relax and choose to make today a good and happy day.
- I try to give myself something to look forward to when I get up. A few minutes to have a cup of tea (Irani Tea is a great choice), maybe look out my living room window before the world gets crazy or read a chapter of my current book.
So there you have it.
What things do you do to help get yourself up on these cold winter mornings?